Tuesday, May 12, 2009

NeopAdmin - Tech Advice

This is my first attempt at a blogging. I am a bit of a newb at bloggin, so bear with me.

I would like to start out by introducing myself. My name is PJ, I am a 35 yo IT professional working in the financially strapped city of Cleveland Ohio. I have worked in IT for almost 15 years and have moved from several different companies. Over the years, I have found (like most IT folks) many useful sites with tips for troubleshooting, automating, and designing technology solutions. I think its time for me to share my experiences and hope that someone will find it helpful.

My first posted tip:

My nemisis Citrix, administration nightmare (at least how we are using it). We upgraded the License server OS to R2 (Server 2003) for DFS R2 capabilities. As most of you know, R2 is a pretty straight forward install which does not require a reboot of the OS after installation. Typically I do a reboot for piece of mind, but was hesitant as this server has several roles. SQL Service 2K5 for Citrix, Sungard Paragon (for DR), SCCM Distribution point (on SAN Disk), are all currently running here. The upgrade completed without issue on Monday evening. Tuesday morning, everything still looked healthy. I setup the DFS R2 services for replication and shared namespace around 8 AM.

Around 11 AM the first IM came in from a remote admin in Quebec, Citrix Shadowing was not displaying users. Uh oh! Then, another IM from a Client Admin at corporate, the Access Manager Console would not connect.

I went straight to the source, the 3 Citrix servers in production with the console published. Upon trying the connection, nothing, the discovery process ran and ran, no error, no success. I bounced one server after finding an IMA issue in the event log (a common issue with CTX Presentation Server 4,5). Logged in and tried to connect; no dice. Then it was off to the license server. No errors concerning any connectivity to the farm, but give it a shot. Rebooted, and tested the AMC again. Sure enough, conncted without issue.

Lesson learned: No matter what the patch, service pack, hotfix; always reboot!