Thursday, May 21, 2009

Myth uncovered...data from a failed Hard Drive...

OK. I have done this; most of your HD recovery companies have done this; why shouldn't you do this...

I am talking about using the freezer trick to get a dead harddrive to spin after the click of death.

I do own software to help recover dead HDs, but sometimes its not enough. There are always hard cases were the drive has been 'clicking a while but I didn't think it would die on me' cases, or, 'I spilled a beer on my table while surfing the web on my laptop',

The freezer trick is something I had success with in the early 90's. The trick is to do it the right way. Listen up, I have recovered approx. 30+% of the HDs that come to my without the disk spinning, thats right, about 3 outta 10.

If you have a static bag, us it. If not, a ziploc will do. Place the HD into the bag and seal with a rubberband the best you can. This will help to keep condinsation to a minimum.

Be very carefull not to leave the drive in the freezer too long. about 20 to 30 minutes should be the sweet spot. Take the drive out quickly, connect it up to your PC, and power on. If the drive does not come on the first time, try again. The most tries I ever had before throwing in the towel was 3 times.

You will be suprised at how much money you can save your friends and family by being the recovery point for all of there pics and resumes.

If your interested in the Recovery Software, check this out... http://www.runtime.org/
I've been using this for years.